Camping Under a Cathedral
Camping Under a Cathedral: This spot is easy to get to from Toulumne Meadows, and worth a day hike. I’ve hiked the Cathedral Lakes Trail several times already and do highly recommend it. It’s less busy than any hikes in the Yosemite Valley.
Though that’s been years ago and now it’s like a very busy trail. You’ll need a wilderness permit if you’re going to camp at one of the lakes – the area is composed of an Upper Lake and Lower Lake campgrounds.
You can try your luck by going to the ranger’s office early in the morning and wait in line. There’s always around 40% of the wilderness permits reserved for walk-ins. Be aware, that other hikers have the same idea and you might not get one even after waiting in line. It’s best if you reserve the permit ahead of time and pay the fee.
At any rate, you’ll have a blast here especially during sunset and you can even get up at night if the skies are clear to see the Milky Way!
Helpful Tent and Camping Guides:
- Save money from epic photography gear guides and round-ups
- Discover new destinations near and far
- Learn to travel better and longer from travel tips and resources
- Get free travel photos and other freebies
- We don't like SPAM so you won't get any from us