Eger Castle View of the Minaret. Eger, Hungary.
Eger Castle may not be the mighty edifice it once was, yet it’s still well worth a visit. It has a fascinating history and occupies a special place in the heart of many a Hungarian. For it was here, in 1552, a huge Turkish army was defeated with a small Hungarian garrison led by Captain István Dobó.
An excellent success, it was immortalized by Géza Gardonyi in his ‘loosely based on reality’ work ‘Egri Csillágok’, translated as ‘The Eclipse of the Crescent Moon ‘ or ‘Eger Stars ‘. This book is required reading for all Hungarian children of college age, as is at least one trip to Eger Castle.
Check out my Ultimate Travel Photography Gear Guide!
- Save money from epic photography gear guides and round-ups
- Discover new destinations near and far
- Learn to travel better and longer from travel tips and resources
- Get free travel photos and other freebies
- We don't like SPAM so you won't get any from us