This post will likely contain affiliate links that will help me get a Venti Cappuccino at Starbucks. I know you’re an enabler and not helping with my caffein addiction, but it’s so damn good I can’t stop. You should try with a sprinkle of vanilla!
Nothing better to disconnect from the city routine, than a family experience in the midst of nature. Only with this, you will be able to replenish yourself with energy to continue the year. However, this is only possible as long as you have proper shelter to rest in. That is why getting an 8 person tent for a large family or group is going to be necessary.
So, pay close attention to the recommendations in this article, so that selecting the best 8 man tent becomes an easy task. Below are the most important criteria you should consider before purchasing your new 8 man tent.
What to Look for in an 8 Person Tent
To be able to choose the size of the tent you must first know how many people are going to travel with you. This is very important to guarantee everyone sufficient space and comfort. It is also essential to know how long the stay will be when you’re camping. The more days you spend camping, the more utensils and supplies you will need. Therefore, you must have the necessary space inside the tent to keep everything inside safely.
Most family tents tend to have a rather high weight. Although they offer greater comforts, thanks to their ample compartments and room, it is also essential to keep in mind weight and bulk – how much room will you have left in the car with the tent in stow.
Here, depending on the type of trip you are going to take, you should consider how much weight you can carry with you. It’s essential to know how you will be bringing the tent, by car or perhaps by bike? You have to take into account the weight and portability of the tent.
Resistance to weather conditions is a relevant factor to know in what seasons of the year the tent will be useful. Here, there are very varied models: suitable for two, for three or even four seasons. Your purchase decision depends a lot on the destination, season, climate, and even elevation. The impermeability, the protection against the hot sun and the stability in front of strong winds, are important characteristics to consider.
Ease of Assembly
The more effort and time you need to have the tent ready, the less convenient it will be if you’re looking to enjoy every minute of the trip. Make sure that the assembly is simple and fast. Reading the manual thoroughly helps, and having a good manual definitely helps. The biggest drawback occurs when the tent model has a high number of pieces to assemble and takedown. In these cases, not only is it difficult to assemble, but cleaning up will become a tedious task.
Finally, we must recommend that you assemble it for the first time in your garden or some park before going on your adventure. This will allow you not only to learn how to assemble it better but also to verify and confirm that all the elements of the tent are in good working condition.
Remember all of these indicators before choosing your tent, and only then you can pick the right one for you and your family. Keep in mind that you cannot take it lightly, because it will be your home away from home during your outdoor adventure.
Final Tips to Keep in Mind to Choose the Right 8 Person Tent
When trying to find the best 8 person tent, here are some tips to heed.
1. What about space?
If possible, pick one advertised for 8 or more people; more than what you were originally going to use it four. The manufacturers are sometimes “generous” on their measures. We make a note of that in our reviews so that you won’t end up picking one too small for you and your family. Besides, the extra space is good for storing equipment, etc.
2. Color of the tent
Color plays a role too. The color of the ceiling is not a minor detail: if it is clear, it absorbs less solar heat, and therefore, its interior is doesn’t get as hot as black colored ones; it also lets in a lot of light. If it is dark, it absorbs more heat, but if we set it up in the shade, it will be cooler and not so bright.
3. If possible, have eaves or awnings
Currently, almost all igloo style tents have it, and it is beneficial to store equipment, cook, change wet clothes without entering the cabin, etc. If the eaves have the floor, better. If not, it can be done very quickly.
4. The more it is fixed to the ground the better
The stability of a tent and its resistance to the wind is provided by the frame since they are the foundation of the structure. Aluminum frames are better than the fiberglass ones, but they only come in the high range tents, known as expedition tents. Some are even made of steel, but these can start to become heavy.
5. Fabric thickness
The thicknesses of the fabric are also essential to consider, especially that of the floor since it is the area most exposed to damage by footprints, stones, branches, etc. It is also vital that the fabric of any compartment is breathable or has cross ventilation to prevent condensation. In igloos tents, there are three types of fabrics: common nylon, aluminized nylon, and ripstop.
6. Pole material
The system of coupling of the poles is more resistant if they are made out of high-quality materials such as steel that are inserted inside of those, than if they are plastic tubes where the ends of the poles are fitted.
You always have to see how the full set up of model looks, instead of just the photos in the box. The ceiling must be well stretched, without wrinkles or deformations. If it is of those types that fit above the pole (there are other models in which the ceiling is raised first, and the cabin is hung inside), it is necessary to see that the seams imitate the shape of the tent frame and that it is not twisted.
Now that you know a few essential tips for finding the right tent, here are our suggestions and reviews of the various 8 person tents that you should consider:
1. Coleman Montana 8 Person Tent
With the Coleman Montana 8 person tent, you are not only well prepared for surprising weather changes but also has plenty of room for a large family. Even though this steep wall tent with about 26 kg is not for hikers, extended families with up to 8 people certainly get their money’s worth here. A tunnel construction with very steep, almost vertical sidewalls makes the “Montana 8” a very spacious and comfortable home tent.
The Coleman Montana 8 Person Tent is among the very best family camping tents in 2019. It can easily accommodate 3 Queen Size beds or 8 individuals. This tent provides great features such as an enormous interior with ample central elevation, hinged doorway, efficient venting system, warmth, easy-to-pitch mechanism, and etc. making this tent user-friendly and comfortable. Coleman Montana is your reliable friend in outdoor adventures and camping. Water leakage during rain is avoided due to smart design concepts, implementing contemporary technologies, and conventional materials. You can definitely relax in this weatherproof camping tent.
- Great performance in weather resistance, and built to last, definitely will keep your peace of mind
- It could accommodate 3 queen mattress or 8 people
- The Porch delivers a dry entrance
- It’s electric port inside the tent
- There is a venting mechanism that enables fresh air consumption within the tent
- Avoids water leakage through rains
- It takes just 15 minutes to set up this tent
- There are a lot of color choices
- It includes a 1-year warranty
- Very heavy and not easy to carry around if you are not using a car
- The floor material is a bit thin, which generates trouble while camping on rough terrain – It is possible to take a thick mattress or airbed to overcome this issue
- Some users complained that the porch can’t prevent sagging while camping near beach places
2. Browning Camping Big Horn 8 Man Tent
Spacious but small, compact and without a lot of bells and whistles – that’s the best way to describe the Browning Big horn tent. This is a large group tent with an integrated vestibule and is a good companion for small families on short camping trips. For a very comfortable camping holiday, it is not going to be your ideal foldable home. If you want something a little more luxurious are looking for more comfort features, you won’t find it in the Browning tent as it’s fairly basic.
The 4 pockets in the inner tent prove to be very practical in order to stow personal belongings safely. The mosquito net at the entrance is also part of the basic inclusion of this tent and ensures insect-free nights in nature. Two entrances in the awning also give you the opportunity to set up and use your storage space the way you want it.
- The tent is spacious
- Great basic big tent for an 8 household group
- The tent is made from high-quality materials
- The wall divider is versatile and provides extra flexibility
- The many positive customer reviews indicate that it is of good quality
- This can be an all-purpose, all year tent you can rely upon
- It offers quite a comfortable experience
- Families or friends who prefer to camp will probably find the extra space useful
- You do not need to duck around as the ceiling is large
- The tent may be too large for a lone camper or couples that do not bring a lot of equipment
- A First-time camper may experience a bit of problem when it comes to placing up the tent
- Not really as feature-rich as other tents and might not be right for all camping trips
- A couple of people have complained that the zipper region leaks somewhat
- Some customers aren’t satisfied with the flooring as it’s made of the same material as the tent walls
- The tent is resilient; however, some people say waterproof it to strengthen the walls and ceiling
- Definitely heavier than other tents
3. Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
The Wenzel is a combination of separate elements made up of the dome, steep wall, and tunnel tents. With three sleeping cabins, a large lounge with a large sun dome makes camping for extended families very comfortable. This is a mix of different tent types rolled into one. Therefore, it is difficult to say whether the assembly and disassembly are actually as straightforward as the manufacturer says it is. Compared to the simple dome or tunnel tents, this model is, with all its parts, more complex. It certainly requires more than 2 people to assemble it if time is of the essence.
For the construction, the numerous guylines are the main element. The large base of the tent is thus extended by the guylines and makes it a very space-intensive family tent. For frequent changes of place, this giant tent is certainly not ideal since it’s cumbersome and bulky. However, if you like to stay in one place for longer periods with the whole family, this tent is a practical choice.
- It is a great family camping tent for weekend campers
- It can fit 8 adults with sleeping bags
- The main room and screen room both have a comfy standing height for taller individuals
- The well-designed ventilation system makes it highly comfortable in warmer weather
- Fantastic no-see mesh fabric offers privacy
- The porch enables you storing camping gears, furniture, etc
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee
- This 3-season tent is good for fair weather (3 seasons) and not recommended for extreme weather
- It takes about 20 minutes to pitch the tent even with 2 adults
- The screen room provides a lower standing height to the taller people
- Some people have complained about the rainfly so an extra tarp might be necessary
- If you do not stake down the poles and ropes properly to the ground, the tent might fall down
4. White Duck Outdoors Avalon Canvas Bell Tent
Specially made for people who want a great looking tent, the White Duck Outdoors 8 person is a great camping tent. A simple clip system offers an alternative to classic fabric bottles on the flysheet, but it also has one or the other problem. The fly-over tent must first be stretched with the aid of three parallel rod arches, erected with guy lines in all directions and thus stabilized. It does not lead the rods through eyelets in the tent fabric but hangs them with clips from the outside of the tent. It is spacious and large and is meant to be used by 8 people.
The tent is by no means a cheap tent. In fact, it’s downright expensive compared to other tents on this list. But, you get what you pay for. This tent is a true 4-season tent and can withstand a fiery or icy storm. The White Duck Avalon is a solid tent; if money isn’t an issue, you should pick this one up.
- Great design is coupled with the ultimate comfort and space
- Suitable for all seasons & all climates
- Breathable fabric
- Waterproof, so it’s suitable in the rain
- Very reliable tent
- Top-level engineering and craftsmanship
- 3-layer windows
- It is very expensive, expects to pay a lot more than other tents on this list
- Extremely heavy, so it’s made for every camping purposes
- Quite bulky so you can’t really take anywhere
5. Coleman 8 Person Red Canyon Tent
The Coleman 8 Person Red Canyon Tent is, in its basic form, a dome tent with two intersecting poles that provide stability and wind resistance. The awning forms a tunnel-like porch, which remains upright through a pole bend and guylines. As with all igloo type tents, the construction is relatively simple due to the crossover linkage. Nevertheless, one should be with the assembly and dismantling for two, since doing it alone could become a little bit awkward. However, if you want a really fast and easy to use a tent, we would suggest getting the Coleman 8 Montana instant tent instead.
In this Red Canyon, the difficulty lies in the awning, which is sewn directly to the main tent. After the dome stands, a pole must be pulled through the awning, stretched, and erected with guylines. With this relatively small effort, you will get yourself but a large awning and extra living space.
- Provides 3 rooms in a very large and livable space
- Easy to set up
- Very low maintenance
- Dividers offer great privacy
- The Variflo adjustable venting system provides a high degree of control over the temperature in the tent
- Made from weather-resistant fabrics and does a good job preventing leaks
- Easy to fold and carry
- Enough room to fit 3 queen-sized mattresses
- Comes with a rainfly
- Detachable dividers that you can configure rooms in various ways
- Does not have as many doors as other 8 person tents in this list
- Not a 100% waterproof tent and cannot be used during extreme rainy days
- Difficult to set up with one person as the guylines are hard to attach
- Needs a good clear area to set up
- Center poles are very long, often requiring two people
- Can be a bit awkward to set up
6. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Man Tent
A small family can sleep in this camping tent, stow away plenty of luggage and take a seat in the anteroom on camping furniture. In the vestibule can be opened both front and on the right side of the tent, a generously sized entrance. One of the two entrances can also be set up as a sunshade with the included raising poles.
In addition to the 2 entrances, further light enters the vestibule through a large window. In rain or sunlight, it can also be closed from the outside by a visual screen variable. The sleeping area has, apart from the direct entrance to the living area, on the left side of the tent, another entrance. Both entrances are protected from insects by mosquito nets. The sleeping tent consists of breathable material and has an additional ventilation opening on the back of the tent.
- Very great for space and offers a lot of vestibules and a lot of light too
- Sets up in just a few minutes
- Accommodates up to 8 people in sleeping bags
- Has great standing height for taller people
- Hydra-shield canvas ceiling that keeps the tent dry
- The Flex-bow frame can withstand strong winds and rain
- Water-resistant floor to keep the tent-interior dry
- Great ventilation with mesh-windows, vents and zippered doors
- The large awning for dry entry and extra space
- Comes organizer pockets for storing goods
- Not the most portable tent and it can be tricky to set up for the first time
- Can’t use it in heavy snowfalls or mountaineering in winter
- It is relatively pricier than the average tent
7. Arctic Monsoon Starry i1 8 Person Tent
With plenty of space, a generous tent height, and many comfortable details, Arctic Monsoon can also be used for a longer camping holiday. Even when traveling beyond the warm and dry south, it is a dry fortress. For large tents, it is common that only the sleeping area has a sewed bottom. The Arctic Monsoon 8 person tent, on the other hand, has a completely sown floor, which also makes the living area into a closed space.
There are just a couple of issues with the Starry i1 8 tent that may disappoint some seasoned campers, but overall it’s a good and cheap tent. If standing up against particularly heavy rain, there can be some leakage, but it’s a tough tent that for the most part, keeps water out.
- Easy and very quick to set up
- The secure bathtub floor prevents water from entering
- The divider wall lets you separate the tent space
- Very rugged construction
- Excellent weather resistance for heavy rain and wind
- Very heavy and may not be easily carried around at 30 lbs
- Some people report leakage in heavier rains
- The front porch doesn’t protect the whole door
8. AmazonBasics 8 Person Family Tent
Pros: A great basic tent for the average family’s needs, and priced at a great competitive point too.
Cons: Not as many features such as vestibules, waterproofing, and awnings when compared to other tents.
Anyone who knows large 8 person tents knows that they have a complex structure. However, the bigger it is, the trickier it gets to get the long rods in place. A little practice and patience are only necessary to get this giant tent in position. And all the space you have at the end is a bit of sweat in the construction of a trivial matter. However, if you do not want all of that trouble and want a simple tent to set up, then the AmazonBasics 8 Person Tent is for you.
The tent is not perfect by any means; taller individuals won’t be able to walk around inside the tent. It could use more mesh windows for proper ventilation in hotter climates. There are no bathtub floors, and it could use more pockets to pack your gear, but overall, this tent is quite a steal for the price.
- Good size, this tent packs up tiny for a tent this big
- Decent quality materials that make the tent feel solid
- Keeps you dry in rainy weather
- Rugged floor made of a material that keeps the water out and the tent dry
- Amazingly low price for the quality
- Comes with a zippered pack that makes it easy to carry the tent
- Some people report poor ventilation and need extra mesh windows
- Needs extra guy lines to hold the rainfly to the sides
- Not very tall compared to other tents on the list
9. NTK Laredo GT 8 to 9 Man Tent
The very spacious interior and many bright windows make the NTK camping tent an ideal camping tent for more than 8 people. It also serves as a refuge against insects, rainwater, and dirt. The tent with its continuous floor pan and nets protected tent openings make it a comfortable place to stay in. A variable cabin layout and many windows make it a practical foldable home.
The tent is not perfect, though, but the complaints are little. It needs better instructions for tying the guy lines, and unless you’re a seasoned camper, you might have a hard time setting it up. The design is also for the sleeves to have to push the tent poles through when setting the tent. These are OK after the first struggle, but it feels like the material could rip apart when you push the poles through.
- One of the largest tents on this list, making it great for large groups
- The rainfly covers the entire tent and is waterproof
- Plenty of space and tall which can fit 8 people
- Weighs less than 24 lbs making lighter than other tents
- Good and adequate ventilation
- Utility pockets for extra gear storage
- The nice color-coded pole system
- Quality of the peg and zip questionable – needs to be upgraded
- Only one door available in front of the tent
- Have to push poles through sleeves at the top of the tent instead of having tent clips to fasten to it
10. Eureka Copper Canyon 8 Person Tent
The tent has a boxy design to it, allowing you to have the ability to stand and walk around inside the tent. This tent has many windows that allow the tent to breathe vent on hot days. This is much comfier than other tent designs since its roofing stands up better without being staked down. This is fundamentally a one wall tent like the Coleman above, but it has a rain fly that covers the mesh roof. This design allows for excellent ventilation. Unfortunately, because of this design, the tent doesn’t do very well in heavy winds.
Overall the tent scored very highly in our testing. We liked this tent’s box shape that made it comfortable to be inside. There is no vestibule for its rain fly, but it’s compensated for with the huge floor space. It takes about 15 minutes between two people to set up and packs down to a small size, leaving you room for other things in your car.
- Great space-saving features such as small windows make the interior larger
- Accessible large area and room for tall people
- It has a nice divider
- Easy to set up
- The seams are tape sealed
- Provides awning shades
- Nice design touches with the partitions
- Very sturdy
- Comfortable to walk around in
- It’s priced cheaper than most tents
- It lacks a vestibule
- Questionable pegs that may not be suitable for rocky grounds
- Very heavy at 37 lbs
11. Springbar Highline 8 Man Tent
The Spring Highline tent is an 8-person tent with durable poles and extra-large awning. The price-performance ratio of the tent is great. Especially the awning is worth buying. The quality of the tent walls is high quality, and the dome tent withstands even heavy showers. The breathable the fabric material creates a cool interior, so it is ideal for summertime camping. The material provides more insulation than synthetic material, so it’s also ideal for winter camping. It’s truly a 4-season tent.
The downsides are that it’s not a cheap tent, and the poles are made of aluminum instead of steel. It does make the tent lighter, though, and that could be a positive instead of a negative. You also won’t find a lot of storage and organizers compared to other tents on this list. However, a lifetime warranty means you can pretty much expect to have this tent for life.
- The price to performance ratio is excellent, with its quality
- A proven design and lifetime warranty covering any manufacturing defects
- Very spacious for 6 person tent
- Good ventilation means it’s ideal for hot weather conditions
- Proven to be stable in harsh weather conditions
- The cotton duck canvas material is watertight and mold resistant
- Light aluminum tent poles
- Easy to set up, even 1 person can do it
- Come with 12-inch metal stakes
- Quality stake hooks and rope border
- Includes a shade awning
- Its heaviness can make it hard to bring to the site
- The tent poles are made from aluminum instead of steel
- Needs more organizers for your gear
- Very heavy design
12. Eurohike Buckingham Elite 8 Man Tent
This family tent by Eurohike is a great camping tent combination for a total of 8 persons. In three sleeping cabins and a lounge, families have their own little foldable home. The tent forms a dome in the middle and is extended to its sides by tunnel elements around 5 sleeping chambers. An adjustable sunroof protects the tent entrance from the sun and light rain but is not a lockable awning.
The tent consists of 2 individual bedrooms that function as an apartment to accommodate the campers. The material is made of solid waterproof cloth with a score of 3000mm that should be able to withstand extreme weather conditions such as rain or higher intensity of sunlight. The material also prevents bugs and other creatures that are flying to get into the tent. The Eurohike Buckingham Elite is also ideal for tall people because the inside is very large. To maintain the tent in excellent shape, it’s got a nice tent pack with which you are able to continue to keep the tent in shape after folding it.
- Offers great organization
- A very functional tent with many rooms that provide a lot of space
- Very comfortable to be in
- Solid windows that let light in
- Many vents to keep it dry and cool
- Sleeping rooms with dark rest design
- There is an E-port
- Many storage pockets for stowing gear
- Flimsy fiberglass poles
- A bit expensive compared to other tents
13. NTK Cherokee GT 8 To 9 Person Tent
It has a great top vent system, and large mesh windows ensure a pleasant climate and excellent ventilation. This tent has a particularly wind-stable shape and well-fixed guy lines, which are made with a winding and clamp in one piece. The outer aluminum linkage connects the inner and outer tent, allowing both to be built in one step.
NTK Tent is intended to provide campers with comfort when camping outside and is made to withstand outdoor elements like heat, wind, and heavy rains. The NTK has adequate interior space with maximum floor dimensions of 10 feet x 12 ft. The ground area is wide enough to accommodate 9 individuals. Moreover, the Cherokee GT is incredibly steady when fully-assembled. This is because the tent employs heavy-duty materials such as prime white glass fiber rods and metal hardware that is dual chromed. The Cherokee GT doesn’t need any additional tools to set up and also has a comprehensive manual. Finally, NTK tent is easily hauled since it comes with a durable carrying bag.
- Decent and practical layout
- Made from durable polyester
- Great ventilation means a comfortable and cool interior
- Comparatively lightweight
- Stipulates a sleeping space for 9 individuals
- Waterproof and flame retardant
- Warmth seamed and anti-fungus floor
- Can withstand harsh elements
- Nano-flex rods and double gold chromed metal components
- Includes a Distinctively Constructed Doorway for Easy Entrance and exit
- Tall people can walk around inside
- Is easily assembled and disassembled
- Does not have windows and extra doors
- Ventilation decreases when the tent is closed
- The design may not be as stable as other tents on the list
- Does not have its own divider
14. Ozark Trail 8 Person Yurt Camping Tent
Families looking for a cheap tent to pick up or concert-goers looking for an affordable shelter will like what the Ozark Yurt Tent has to offer. With an advertised capacity of 8 people, it has plenty of room and storage capabilities. There’s a large door with 3 windows for great ventilation.
We wouldn’t recommend the tent in very harsh windy winter conditions, but it’s capable enough when it rains. The Ozark has a seam-taped rainfly to keep everyone dry and protected. The windows allow campers to keep cool on hot summer days. There’s a handy hanging media sleeve to pack your tablet and a power port to run power cords into the tent for convenience. There is a mud mat to keep the interior clean. This tent is also ideal for picnics or group events.
- Cheap and great for first-time campers
- Set up time is in between 1 to 2 minutes
- Decent ventilation and the light comes through the window
- Electric cords are included
- There is a room separator
- The pre-attached tent poles are convenient
- The materials may not be to the best standards
- It is not easy to pack in the small included bag
- You cannot hang anything for example light from the ceiling
- Waterproofing is still required
- Included tent poles are not that strong
15. Chinook Titan Lodge Aluminum 8 Man Tent
For such a pricey family tent, the interior space is very respectable. You can enter the large vestibule through two entrances, of which the side entrance has a canopy on raising poles. The main space and the seating area can be found here; the window can be closed opaque with a roller blind or otherwise ensures adequate ventilation.
There is only one sleeping compartment made of breathable polyester, the entrance of which remains insect-free thanks to mesh fabric. And it has a great interior height which makes the inside ventilation great. It may also be a heavy tent, but it is very easy to set up at first. True to its moniker, the tent comes at a titanic price, which makes you want to look at other tents in comparison. It’s declared capacity of 8 people may also be questionable, but if you have less than 8 people, this might just be a perfect tent – the quality is robust and rugged, making it able to stand against the elements.
- One of the best builds and designs lead to a comfortable, spacious and durable tent
- Very tall tent
- Made of quality and durable materials
- Good waterproof rating and keeps you dry
- Freestanding design
- Two rooms
- Titanic weight with a titanic price
- Small for the declared capacity of people it can fit
- Not enough storage elements provided
We hope we have given you enough knowledge in choosing your next 8 person tent. This list is in no way complete, but we’ve picked the best ones money can buy because quality and comfort are what should be in top consideration.
DO YOU HAVE AN 8 PERSON TENT?
- Save money from epic photography gear guides and round-ups
- Discover new destinations near and far
- Learn to travel better and longer from travel tips and resources
- Get free travel photos and other freebies
- We don't like SPAM so you won't get any from us